Wednesday 16 May 2012

No more sugar

For a while now I had been thinking about going without sugar in June.  I've been noticing that I've been having more 'rewards' (typically when I lost weight) or having a weekly meal when I'm having something sweet.  But the number of meals or times I've been having sugar has been ramping up recently.  Rather than waiting until June, I decided to start now.  I've been about 5 hours without sugar, and as to when I have some again, who knows?  As long as possible, hopefully.

I've also decided to go without sugar substitutes.  I don't believe that they result in an increase in eating but I'd just like to tone down the sweetness in the food that I eat.

I know that I flip-flop so often, but I'm back on a high carb diet.  I just couldn't get into a low carb diet, this has happened before, I think that the more often I swap from high to low and high again, the less tolerant I am of a low carb diet.  There is a subsequent water gain of about 2 kilograms.  This coupled with the fact that I haven't lost any weight in the last week means that I'm changing the goal day on this blog to 10th August 2012.

I don't know how long I can go without sugar.  There are 'social issues'.  I'm not sure what to do about that, I'll figure it out, and blog about it.  I have no problem declining sugar at work.  Actually at work there are a lot of obese people.  More so than the proportion of the population who are obese.  I was sitting next to one obese woman and saw for a split second a memo that she got about a "healthy weight initiative".  I also saw the words Weight Watchers.  I decided to not talk to her about it.  It's great that my company is doing something (what they are actually doing will probably remain a mystery to me) but what I was wondering was - who decides to get the memo, and who doesn't?  So many issues right there.

4 comments:

  1. I find it easier to have no sugar rather than trying to limit it to a little each day. I'm still struggling to let go of the Splenda although I have a teaspoon or less a day. The box is almost empty and I do not want to invest any more dollars in it or put it in my body. Good luck with your latest challenge to yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a similar issue to Caron with sugar, or rather with sugary 'treats'. I'll try to buy a pack of something that is meant to last, so I can have something just now and then, but it never works that way. I used to manage just fine on a low-carb diet, but I was carb-binging heavily at the start of the year, and I'm still finding to hard to shake that habit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an issue with self-deprivation. It always leads me to binge worse than if I didn't deprive myself. What I've found, though, is that I crave less sweet stuff since I've been on the journey to better health. Every now and then I splurge and enjoy some sugar, but it doesn't seem to kick me into wanting more. Good luck and I'll be back to check on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find I stay on track better if I give up sweets completely. I can't seem to stop at "just one" - it always snowballs into lots. Going lower carb, and getting my sugar from fresh fruits did the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete