Tuesday 2 August 2011

Guess who's on the market?

I'm single. Yes, Becky, my girlfriend of 7 1/2 years and I are no longer together. She moved out on the weekend. About 3 weeks ago I told her that I wasn't happy (which I'm not, and haven't been for a while now) and wanted to be single again. I guess it was a bit of a surprise for her, but if you look at how we've drifted apart in the last couple of years or so, all the signs were there.

It's really disappointing for me, because I've never had a relationship as enjoyable (at least at the start) as I had with Becky. I honestly rated her a '9', which is one up from my first girlfriend 20-odd years ago. I wanted to marry her. I imagined growing old together. However, I've learnt that what you want and what you get are often two different things. In case you were wondering, my weight loss hasn't caused the breakup. I'm the same weight I was when we met.

So where does this leave me in terms of losing weight? For the last 3 weeks, I've been off the diet. Not exercising. Not weighing myself. I restarted weighing myself on Sunday, but I haven't entered it on my spreadsheet. Eating properly starts today. I will find losing weight harder while single, because I get lonely easily, and guess what I do when I get lonely? That's right, fill the void with food.

I have no plans to find someone right now, although who knows what the future will bring. I'm seriously thinking of having a year overseas, in a hot, inexpensive to live in country. That's a big step for me, someone who has never been out of the country. The trip to Indonesia is off, because I've put on weight and probably wouldn't make my preferred date of November, also having two overseas trips in a short span of time is going to be too expensive.

My new life has started. I'm recording a short video diary each day on my video camera. I plan to achieve things while I'm single. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm here to wish you lots of luck. I imagine it's a little bit easier when you are the one ending a relationship but probably hard either way. I know I will turn to food in stressful or even happy situations and I also know that is NOT in my best interest to do that. Hang in there. It's good that you have some goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of luck...being single can be hard on the gut, but if you have a plan and stick to it you'll do just fine. :) Hang in there buddy.

    ReplyDelete