Monday 10 October 2011

3rd week of Give Yourself the Best Gift challenge

Monday's weight: 82.3kg, a loss of 700g in the last week.

This week has generally gone well, I admit to neglecting exercise at the start of the week, then I joined the gym again on Wednesday. I guess it's good to be back, sort of. I never thought I'd rejoin, but I didn't think that I'd be single and suffer excessive eating for a month or two either. It is good, going to the gym and seeing the other people working out, it's motivating.

The downside of course is the tiredness afterwards, the need for a nap, and the fact that I simply don't have much time left in the day to do other things. I've also have become quite tired and had to cut short my exercise session a few times. The reason: I'm not fit.

My definition of being fit is being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping. I'm sure others have different definitions. I decided on Friday to test my fitness by running for one song on my music player, then walking for one song, then running again. I managed 4 runs and 3 walks. I was rather surprised by the lack of fitness, but then again, I haven't exercised properly in months. During the last song, I was officially running, but a fast walker would have overtaken me. In the past to get fit I have started off running for one minute, then the next day two minutes, and after a month I was running for 30 minutes and was fit. I'm in a bit of a hurry so I can't do that this time. Because of not being fit, I'm including running. If there's something that can get you fit quickly, it's running.

Which brings me to the Great Experiment. Can I lose weight at the rate found in the television programme Thintervention? Here's my graph so far:





The graph above shows that today I am about 600g heavier than what I should weigh. That's fine. Considering that I've only been going to the gym for 3 days so far, I don't have a problem with how it looks.

Today however, I won't be going to the gym. I'll be tidying my home because it's messy and a plumber will be coming over. Last night we had a 5.5 Richter aftershock. That's almost an earthquake in itself. Since September 4th we've had 7668 earthquakes and aftershocks with a strength of 3 or above. Of course, we didn't feel all of those. I've probably felt "only" about 2000. The one last night must have damaged the seal of the hot water cylinder where the pipe comes in underneath, and within an hour everything underneath was sopping wet, including the nearby carpet. I've got a container underneath, and there are drops every 5 seconds or so, but it's a nuisance. I'm so glad that I was here when it happened, and also I was wise enough to not put anything underneath the cylinder that could be damaged by water.

5 comments:

  1. Goodness! That's over 200 rumblings a day if I figured it right. I've lived in lots of places that have earthquakes -- San Francisco, Anchorage and San Diego for instance -- but nothing like what you are having.

    Congrats on losing this week and on joining the gym. We seem to be on the same page as far as exercise. It is the hardest thing for me to do consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on rejoining the gym! I'm sure in time you won't feel quite as tired afterward. Perhaps you could ask other exercisers, or even a trainer, about a good post workout snack that will restore your energy without giving you back all the calories you just burned?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a loss. A loss is a loss. Great, too, that you rejoined the gym. I found that when I bike really hard, I need an energy boast. I started eating half of a Cliff Energy bar. That helps. I also have done some protein powder with milk. That also helps.

    I used to live in CA. So, I know about aftershocks. Hope things settle down where you live.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earthquakes are scary things- whether it's an aftershock or not, it's still scary.

    Good luck with the gym. I tried that once but I don't think it's for me. I seem to do better outside. You won't be so tired before you know it! I remember not so long ago it was difficult for me to breath and walk one mile. Now, I'm walking 5 and, if my bladder wasn't so darn old, I would walk further. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has recently started going back to the gym for workouts. He used to lift weights and run quite a bit (did strength and cardio) but after an Achilles tendon tear, he put on quite a bit of weight and lost both strength and endurance. It's frustrating for him to be so fatigued after only ten minutes on a treadmill or a half hour of shooting hoops. He's only lifting about 30% of what he was when he was working out more.

    I keep telling him that it is less important, at this point, how much of a workout he puts in or how many calories he burns and more important that he is actually committed to continue going. The energy will improve, the strength will return gradually and then he'll be back to where he was before. He just can't give up now just because he's not where he wants to be.... he'll never be if he allows himself to give up.

    Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete