Friday 26 February 2010

Better safer than sorry...

After the whole birthday thing, I went to having 7,000kJ daily, and noticed (how could I not!) that my weight was dropping by about 700g a day. Of course, that's not fat, it's probably liquid and partially digested food. It did however, make me wonder whether I had chosen an energy value which was too low. I'd hate to start off with a value too low, then struggle and be hungry while I lose weight as my body fights to keep on the weight.

Because I am uncertain about what value is 'safe' and what value is 'unsafe', I decided to go for the safer option and have 8,500kJ a day. That's quite a difference, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a temporary increase in weight, but I'm curious what my body will do with it. Obviously, there are three options, lose, stay the same and increase. Given that it's been so long since I've been at goal weight, I'm prepared to invest the time and see how it goes.

I've calculated what my body should consume (both now, and at goal weight) to stay at a constant weight, but really, I'm skeptical. The reason for that is because if those values are out by say 10% in either direction, that has quite an effect on how fast you can lose weight. I'll just go with the 8,500kJ and see what happens. The main thing is that it's not going to mess with my metabolism, which is what I'm concerned about.

On a less positive note, I only managed 4 days without sugar, before I decided to go and get a coffee and slice. Becky's birthday is on Sunday, which means three days maximum before more sugar. How long can I go without sugar after that? As long as possible hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment