Saturday 27 February 2010

I give up, admit defeat

No, dear reader, I am not giving up my weight loss. I didn't sleep well last night, I was obsessing about the new plan of eating 8,500kJ each day. Would I still lose weight? Would I gain instead? Would I gain initially due to the increased weight of the food I was eating, then start to lose? How long would it take to have an definite answer? These questions kept of going through my head, so I had a large gap where I just couldn't get to sleep. I know it's the right choice though, I don't want to have problems losing because I'm eating too little, and I'm too scared to eat more because I don't want to put on weight.

As you may know, I decided that I wouldn't exercise in this weight loss, for two reasons. First, I wanted to prove that you didn't need to exercise to lose weight, and second, I've done it before (I lost 15kg in 2000). The first part is a bit of ego, if I were asked about how I did it, I could say that I did it without exercise.

Well, today I weighed myself, and I was 88.5kg. That's up 100g on yesterday, not a large amount up and nothing to worry about. I checked back on my spreadsheet to find out when I first reached 88.5kg since being at my maximum. 102 days ago. Although 1kg of the difference is because I was on low carb then, using the mythical 100g a day loss that I go on about, that means that I could be 9kg less than what I am. Effectively, I've wasted 3 months.

I have decided that due to wasting 3 months, and the fact that I don't really know when I'll be at goal (it could be this year, or it could be next year), I have decided to exercise. In addition, I've decided to go to a gym. That's something I haven't done before, so it's going to be a new experience for me. First though, I need to get fit, which will take about a month.

It's disappointing to have to come to this, but really, if I'm ever to get to goal, go on an overseas holiday, look for a new job (more on that in the future), I need to start exercising.

On Monday I start running, and I'll also stay at 8,500kJ while I'm running, unless there is a good reason to increase it.

1 comment:

  1. I can't understand the metrics (8,500kJ), but I wish you the best of luck. Exercise has other benefits - including reducing stress. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete