Tuesday 24 July 2012

Lowest weight in over 10 years



I posted last week that I was lowest weight in over 9 years, well guess what, I'm the lowest weight in over 10 years.  I've had a lot of milestones in this journey, and the two greatest so far would be reaching halfway (April last year and again following the breakup in October) and lowest weight since mid 2002.  The reason for that is back in 2002, I was struggling.  I was living with my ex who had breast cancer and it was terminal, sadly.  My mother had been diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas in 2001 and her condition was getting worse as time went on.  Amazingly, I was still losing weight.  How I achieved that, I really have no idea.  I remember visiting my ex in the hospice, then having a coffee and slice at a nearby mall and then going home for a carb induced sleep, depressed.  Even now, 10 years later it still depresses me when I think of it.

Slowly over the first 9 months of 2002 I lost weight.  We're talking of about 2-3 kilograms over that whole period.  Then I stopped, and started wondering why and if I could lose the rest.  I'm here 10 years later and know that I can continue losing, so it's nice to know that, I've been wondering about it for 10 years.  As it happened, my ex died on the 19th September and 4 days later my mother died in Dunedin, 5 hours drive away.  Six weeks later a range of issues came along that caused me to rebound - I gained 7kg in the space of a few months or so.

My ex and I had to move into a new home as the old one was being demolished about 3 months before she died, I have a memory of weighing myself back then and thinking that maybe I was 'stuck' at 72kg, and couldn't get any lower.  Well as it turns out, the answer is no.  I can continue losing,

On a lighter side, I have just finished my reward for this achievement - I am allowed to eat my chocolate Easter bunny.  We got them at work and I wrote "lowest weight in 10 years" on it.  There is something about writing it down that makes it stick in your consciousness, rather than just saying it in your mind.  It tends to work better.

Thank you for reading, this post has been a special one for me, I've been thinking about it for the last 3 years, and it's good to finally write it.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Enjoy that bunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! What a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you!

    It's such a fabulous feeling when you can say something like this, isn't it, and really helps keep the motivation going to achieve what you want to achieve as a long-term goal.

    In my case, that's never going back to my old bad ways (whatever challenges life chucks my way!), and I'm guessing it's a similar goal for you.

    Enjoy every morsel of the bunny :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that you had such incredible losses in your life. I can only imagine how hard that must be.

    Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment, and enjoy that chocolate bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear the awful losses. I'm sure they would be incredibly proud of you reaching this amazing accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete