Thursday 8 March 2012

Commitment week 3

76.8kg, lowest weight in 7 months, 23 days

I'm back from my trip to Dunedin. I really found it hard to motivate myself to eat properly, and the need to exercise. I haven't done any exercise in the last week. When I was there, I found the excuse to have a 'treat' every day. I was doing things there that I hadn't done in about 15 years, and each step I did I decided to treat myself. I knew that the trip would be challenging, and I guess I failed in my desire to eat well. However, I did do well in the actual driving there, and return. In other words, I didn't splurge. Back home in Christchurch, things have returned to normal. Eating properly, but zero exercise.

Very soon I'll be 10kg away from goal. Getting down to single figures will be an achievement. Someone at work complimented me on my weight loss. Only two people here have done it (one of them didn't know that I was attempting to lose weight), the other one said something about 8 months ago, before I became single and had my regain. I've told a number of people who sit next to me that I am losing weight, and I won't be going overseas until I'm at goal. Some understand, some don't.

I get NZ$25 from my father each birthday and each Christmas. About 4 years ago my father gave me my birthday money, but I told him that I didn't want it then, and would like him to keep it until I've finished losing weight. A while ago I decided to buy a smartphone, and use that money for buying it. The Motorola Defy was on special at The Warehouse (a company probably similar to Walmart in the US), $100 off. So I bought it. $299 instead of $399. I'm owed $225 by my father, so only need $74 of my money instead of $174. It's sitting in its sealed box waiting to be used. If I keep it out of sight, I don't think that I'll ever open it when I'm not close to goal. I want to open it when I'm 70kg. I'm also owed a birthday gift by my brother. He often phones me 2-3 days before my birthday asking what I want. I told him that I'd like a passport, but only when I am near to reaching goal weight. That was about 6 years ago, I reminded him about it recently, so it won't come as a surprise to him.

I really don't think that my brother will ever reach goal weight. He just loves to eat too much too often. I don't mean eating just a little bit extra (my situation). He'll fast for a week or two, then have double his energy needs daily. I have discussed with him whether he'll ever reach goal weight, and he's not sure. I offered to have a system where each of us would give the other $5000 when they reached goal weight (so if we both reached it, it wouldn't cost us anything) and he turned me down. We often talk about weight together, and when I reach goal weight, I want that to stop. Whenever he (or someone else) asks me about my weight, I want to always say the same thing. "I'm still at goal weight, x months/years so far".

My weekly question: have I made a commitment to losing weight in the last week?

My answer is no in the trip to Dunedin, and partially now that I'm back in Christchurch. I need to get back to the word "definitely" like last week.

2 comments:

  1. The week is past, a new one begins! Keep your eyes on the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about this is that you are still learning what you need to do to reach your goals. You have the rest of your life to enjoy living at your goal weight. I think you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete